search instagram arrow-down

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of my awesome new posts by email.

The @covermymeds #pride hype man @henryfrawleyfulcher #asseenincolumbus #pride17

Mike’s Next Adventure

Everybody’s Got A Little Pile of Stuff

When I first met Mike, one of our first dates was a camping trip in Southern Ohio. My best friend and roommate was incredibly concerned with my willingness to travel into the wilderness with a man I had only known for a few days… alone. She thought I might be murdered. Mike kinda looked like Christian Bale from “American Psycho”, but I thought he would be worth it. I took a chance and I’m still alive. Success!

american_psycho_christian_bale_desktop_1680x1050_hd-wallpaper-608278

Would you like to go camping?

When we woke up in the tent after a fun-filled night of  chasing raccoons away from our beef jerky and getting a visit from a pack of howling coyotes, we were excited for the sunlight. On this particular morning, it was amazingly quiet. It was peaceful. I was gathering my toiletries and  getting ready to head to the bathroom when Mike decided that he couldn’t hold it any longer. He let out the longest and LOUDEST fart of all time. I could hear a camper ask his neighbor if that was from a ‘Squatch in the woods’. It wasn’t. It was Mike. I’m not going to say that I wasn’t impressed, I was, but I had to get out of the tent so I didn’t pass out. EVERYONE in that effing campground heard that fart and since I was the first one to get out of the tent, I’m sure they thought it was me. Thanks, Mike. This incident was during that beautiful time in the relationship when you are trying to impress each other and only show your best characteristics. I ran off to the bathroom as quickly as possible, while Mike giggled in the tent, impressed with himself. That’s what you get when you feed your date a 12 pack of Budweiser and 2 large bags of beef jerky for dinner.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd now, I am about to own a house with this man. One day, I woke up a homeowner next to a tall, gangly, mustachioed fellow with a cat curled into his belly. It’s awesome.

photo

Both of them are hung over in this picture

While Mike was traveling in Japan, I have packed our entire apartment. No shit, really, the only things left are 2 spoons, 2 forks, the french press, a sharp knife and the cat.

488362_10102829587495895_2125933891_n

Over 100 boxes, 1 take out pizza and many a beer later, I have our place ready to move. I realized, during packing, that we have A LOT of shit. As my hero, George Carlin says, “A house is just a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get more stuff!”

Mike comes home from Japan tomorrow and I can barely contain myself. We get the keys to our home on Friday and then our adventure begins!

Picture 2

Yup, another blog

I want to invite you to www.amightyhouse.com so that you can follow our progress, projects, and disasters in our first home. Mike’s little sister, Christy says ‘Mike and Marti’ really fast and sometimes it comes out ‘Mighty’, so this is a bit of a tribute to that. For those of you in Columbus, Ohio, I will be featuring local hardware and gardening stores, home decor boutiques and other tidbits around the city. I just learned how to code two days ago, so the site is a work in progress. After the move, I will get it all fixed up.

I hope to see you over at A Mighty House and I’m looking for some good advice and tips from other homeowners! Let’s keep in touch and thanks for stopping by.

Thanks for giving me some space on your blog for a day, Mike. Now get home and help me move all this stuff!

480452_10102650824248875_1124400867_n

This is interesting; writing a bio for someone you sleep with.  Okay, I met Marti during a natural disaster. Seriously, Hurricane Ike Sept, 2008. I was living at the Blue Danube Bar on High Street, because Ike blasted up through Ohio, and knocked out our grid’s power for weeks.

A mutual friend, Chance,  brought Marti to the bar, and we hit it off right away. I contacted her the next day, aaaaaaand she forgot who I was. Unfazed, I convinced her to meet up for drinks at a local pub, and we connected.

Marti has seen my worst days, and somehow stuck with me. Not too many people (mates) would. She consistently surprises me with her profundity. Coming from such a small person, it’s weird, like buddha with a hot ass. And I love her for it.

She’s a creative force, a designer of life, and when she cashes in on those talents, not one person that knows her will say “Wow!”, they’ll say, “Knew it.”

www.alltogethernowohio.com

24 comments on “Everybody’s Got A Little Pile of Stuff

1. Brigitte says:

Marti, thanks for sharing your love story with us. Somehow it’s not surprising that Mike impressed with his farting prowess on the very first date. Is that the moment you truly fell in love? Anyway I’ve moved enough to know how tiring it is — physically and emotionally — yet you’re about to embark on a new beginning. How wonderful and I’m heading over to your new blog now to follow. Great, good luck. Now make sure you feng shui…

1. martibabcock says:

Thanks, Brigitte! You are right, it is exhausting, which is why I’m going to make Mike move all the boxes that I packed, haha.

1. mabukach says:

I hired a sherpa named “Fonzy”.

2. Alex Hurst says:

What a great post! Carlin is my hero too. I love his sense of humor. He was like the uncle I always wanted, haha.

Congratulations on your new house! I am very excited to read all about your experiences.

1. martibabcock says:

Carlin would be the best uncle!

3. Le Clown says:

Marti,
    Everybody loves Mike. But everybody loves Marti even more.
    Le Know-It-All-Clown

1. martibabcock says:

Ha! If Le Clown says it, I believe it!

1. mabukach says:

Such a brown-noser that Le Clown.

4. jan bukach says:

This was an awesome blog and made me laugh outloud. Thats my boy! Really knew how to impress his lady. I’m so glad you gave him a chance after that. You guys make a beautiful couple and I love you both and can’t wait to help you get that house ready. 🙂

1. martibabcock says:

Thanks, Momma Moose!

5. Honie Briggs says:

Exceptional! Mike you are one lucky bas…guy! Marti, take it from someone who has moved a bazzillion times for someone to sleep with…um, that doesn’t sound right, my husband, I mean, it gets easier the more times you do it. Moving, I mean. Best of luck to you in your new digs. (Home & Blog) LOVE the Carlin !!

1. martibabcock says:

Thanks, Honie! I couldn’t imagine moving again after this, but when we do, I might have to schedule a trip to Thailand 2 weeks before and make Mike pack up the next move 🙂

1. Honie Briggs says:

Good idea! It seems each time we have moved my husband had been “super busy”, you know, business stuff. HA! Well, if you go to Thailand I suggest Phuket and a trip to the Similan Islands. I spent three weeks there a couple of years ago, oh how I’d love to go again.

2. mabukach says:

I am a lucky bastard, Honie. I can home to a packed up apartment. Very weird. Thailand sounds amazing….

1. Honie Briggs says:

Thailand is amazing! I was one lucky bastard to be able to go there for three weeks. I will warn you though, the smells can go from sublime to sickening in sixty seconds. Every person we encountered was so happy to serve us. The tsunami in 2004 wiped them out, but slowly (very slowly) fishing villages and coastal areas are making a comeback. How’s Japan?

1. mabukach says:

Wow. three weeks?! Did you make it down to Malaysia or Singapore, or just three weeks on the beach?
          Good to hear about the fishing villages coming back, along with the charm of small villages.
          Japan was fantastic. Jet lag is repeatedly punching me in the face, but I should have some pics/stories up soon.

1. Honie Briggs says:

We beached it the entire time. Thai massage, real coconut water, and fresh fruit right on the beach! It was awesome. Can’t wait to hear about your trip and see pics! Oh, the jet lag – travelers curse! But what a curse to have. 🙂

1. mabukach says:

That sounds amazing right now. When I go, I’ll have to pick your brain on where to visit.
              Yeah, I almost fell asleep at work today. I should say, I almost fell out of my chair when I fell asleep at work today. 🙂

6. susielindau says:

That is hilarious! The old fart in the tent trick. I bet Mike has a million of them, tricks that is…
    Congrats on your soon-to-be new digs and send my best to the world traveler tomorrow. That reminds me, I better clean up these beer cans….

7. martibabcock says:

He does have a million of them! If he ever lets me write again, I will list them 🙂

8. Laura says:

Wow Mike, I don’t know what I’m more astonished by — the fact that you actually farted proud & strong on a firstish date(!!); or that you didn’t use that as an entry for Woodfire of Fortune! (The only logical explanation is that you don’t actually consider it embarassing, which is bafflement #3). Well done Marti! He’s lucky to have all 3.5 ft of you (his words, not mine). Can’t wait to read about the new homeowner adventures. xLaura

1. mabukach says:

I couldn’t help myself. Beef jerky AND beer. Us Bukach men have a long history of bragging through expulsion, but honestly, I thought, if she doesn’t laugh we’re probably not going to work out.

9. Erick Adamantine says:

Reblogged this on Frugallance and commented:
    This is simple and yet profound. He’s got a magical way of seeing the world.

10. mabukach says:

Marti – thank you for not posting any nude pictures of me.

Talk To Me